I'm not the biggest broccoli fan but there's something about broccoli and cheddar I can't say no to! Especially with bread! Last week, I must have had broccoli and cheddar soup 6 times due to my complete inability to chew! So I was super surprised when I found myself craving it again this week! At first, I figured I go classic and make soup. But then I saw one of those Lipton pasta sides in the pantry (broccoli and cheddar of course). As much as I love those sides, I like go a little less processed when I have a choice. So I decided to recreate a healthier (but almost just as quick) version. The final product turned out amazing!
- 1 box pasta - cooked
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbs flour
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 head of broccoli - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used a white Vermont cheddar)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a saucepan, melt butter over med-low heat.
- Add garlic and broccoli. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and stir until incorporated.
- Add milk and stir well. Let cook for about 2 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- Add vegetable broth and spices and stir well.
- Gently fold in cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is all melted.
- Add pasta.